Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Studies in Concentration

I'm always amazed at the concentration of some musicians. Tommy Emmanuel, whom I wrote about in an earlier post is one such guitarist. It is an ability to concentrate that draws listeners into the music in a way that I can't describe, but I know it when I see it. Or better put, I know it when I hear it. I do however get almost as much out of watching these two play as I do listening to them.

Here are two of the best examples. Neither are guitarists, but I had to include them anyway. Both are studies in true grace, and there's a great deal for us to learn here. I encourage you to seek out their music on your own.

First here's jazz pianist Keith Jarrett, performing live, playing George Gershwin's beautiful "I Loves You Porgy", from "Porgy and Bess".



Next, the inimitable Vladimir Horiwitz performing Frédéric Chopin's first ballade. Watch as he pauses before playing to center himself.



'Nuff said.

No comments: