Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I Team Up With a Master Baroque Architect

This past Saturday I had the opportunity to play at the Sir Christopher Wren Chapel on the campus of William and Mary. I had been asked to play for about a half hour before the ceremony, the processional, a little candle-lighting music during the ceremony, and the recessional. I also played a set at the reception.

The couple requested that I play from the balcony. I got there early (I don't like to rush) to get set up, warm up and importantly, find just the right spot. I was in the chapel alone for awhile before anyone arrived and I sat to the right side and played for a few minutes, the left side for a few more and then I sat in the middle (in front of the organ pipes in the photo). There I found a very small spot with a low riser and a stool. The second I sat down and stroked a chord, shivers went up my spine. For the first time in my life I was hearing my guitar resonating back towards me (without amplification mind you) from throughout the entire room. It's hard to describe. I wasn't hearing the sound coming directly from the guitar as I normally do, I was hearing it reverberating back to me from everywhere.

As people started to arrive in the chapel I could see heads turning, looking around trying to find where the music was coming from before they spotted me, some turning complete circles. It was the most acoustically perfect place I had ever had the privilege to play. I hope I get to do it again. My kinda livin'.

No comments: