Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My Kinda Livin'

I've played for probably hundreds of weddings in my guitar-playing career, but I've never played at one that brought a lump to my throat. That is, until now. This past weekend I had the honor to be invited to play at a very special wedding in Charlottesville, Virginia. My very dear friend Johnny Bland's son, John Michael, was the groom to his beautiful, now-wife Betsy. (Yes, that's right THE Johnny Bland, singer and guitar-stylist of Johnny Bland and the Baddadz fame!) My job was to play while people were gathering around, and being seated waiting for the show to start and then to play three pieces for the ceremony: Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, and Sleepers Awake!, plus the Pachelbel Canon in D. All very beautiful, stately pieces, well-chosen by the bride, and perfect for the occasion.

The wedding was at Veritas Vineyard & Winery in Afton, just west of Charlottesville (Check out the link and be sure and look at the photo gallery on the right side of the page). We sat outside in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains overlooking a beautiful hillside full of grapevines, and into the valley beyond. You could see for miles and the day was as perfect as the couple. Hummingbirds fed at the flowers around the altar while I played and during the ceremony — I kid you not. My thanks to the Blands and the Boehms, their families and friends for having me. It was a day I'll never forget.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a great job, Herby. Like you said, it was a perfect day and the bride & groom were right to ask you to play for their very special occasion. I saw the hummingbirds, too - it was as if they were meant to be there to add a special touch to an already perfect setting.

Unknown said...

Wow, our wedding made the blog. We were so glad that you were able to play at our wedding ceremony and celebrate our big day. It meant a lot to me to have someone I've known all my life play me down the isle. Thanks Herb!